The scope of the “Apps 4 the Army” competition that I am making my XFDL Viewer for is to use web apps. So I did a quick change to PHP and read up and got a framework setup. The idea is to be able to import the XFDL file and then parse the resulting XML to input values, either on a single form or by batch through an uploaded database.
The framework is complete and I’m pretty happy with the results as I’ve done much more application programming than web development, but PHP isn’t too bad. After getting the frame work together, I started to work on parsing. I mistakenly uploaded a XFDL file rather than the decompressed XML and I found something remarkable. PHP’s SimpleXML apparently can decompress the XFDL file!! This takes out a very complicated step of my project!!! I’m still working to figure out why the recompression does not produce the same output but that may not be a problem with the web interface. Stay tuned for more updates.